Life in our Senior School is rich, varied and exciting with a positive learning culture. In tandem with our strong academic curriculum, our students progress through the Senior School on a supported journey of self-discovery. Our aim is to develop confident, articulate, ethical young women who have an international outlook.
We strive to provide each student with an exciting and engaging learning journey that encourages her to reach her potential. Academically, the Senior School learning program consists of core subjects and elective offerings that vary at each level with the aim of providing pathways for each student. We offer a technology rich environment with authentic integration of IT in our teaching and learning.
Included in the curriculum is our comprehensive WAVES Care & Leadership Program of pastoral care, leadership and personal development at each year level. This is characterised by themes that are relevant to each particular age and stage. Designed specifically to meet the needs of girls and underpinned by our unique WAVES priorities of Wellbeing, Achievement, Values, Enterprise, and Success, these themes relate to the following:
- Year 7: Transition, with a focus on strengthening new and existing friendships, meeting new teachers and participation in an array of core subjects, electives, community service and personal development.
- Year 8: Outdoor challenge and hands-on learning, epitomised by the innovative Foreshore Program with Mentone Live Saving Club making use of our unique beachfront location, which is further enhanced by the Year 8 aquatic-based camp.
- Year 9: Serving and exploring the local and global community through the memorable Compass program and its strong component of volunteering in the local community and international experiences.
- Year 10: Exploring pathways into the greater community through work experience and professional career planning. A student may, if she is ready, undertake one or more VCE subjects in Year 10.
- Years 11 & 12: Developing as leaders and navigating VCE pathways to emerge ready to take on the next challenge. Selected VET studies are also available as well as University Enhancement subjects in Year 12.
Students also take part in a varied program of Sport (House and interschool competition), Music, Dance, Drama, Debating, Public Speaking, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and many other co-curricular opportunities.
We take great pride and joy in celebrating the journey and success of each and every student at Mentone Girls’ Grammar School.