Our Guiding Principles
We believe in creating a nurturing environment where every girl feels that she is known, seen and heard, ensuring that a strong sense of belonging underpins her time with us.
We know girls and we use our expertise in girls’ education to support them in reaching their full potential in whatever pathway to choose. Through our holistic approach of supporting the whole girl we are focused on empowering them to become confident, capable young women.
Our Anglican Values
As an Anglican girls’ school, we are proud of our 121 year history and the grounding it provides us, while enabling us to move forward with clear beliefs and values in what is uncertain times globally. We foster mental wellbeing, academic aspiration, trust, opportunity and engagement, resilience, and social and environmental justice within the search for faith and meaning. The Anglican values of openness and inclusivity are at the heart of our school community. Through our Religion and Values Education (RAVE) Program, we focus on the whole girl, nurturing her personal wellbeing while encouraging her to also look outward through community service and social enterprise.
Our students participate in a variety of projects; from helping disadvantaged women through international camps and fundraising projects, to supporting environmental sustainability both locally and globally. In ways that are appropriate for each age and stage, we challenge and encourage our students to think creatively, to learn about local and global issues and to think about the world as it is now and what it could be into the future. Through our all-girls environment all activities – leadership positions, subject choices, sports, performing arts, technology and more, are open to them to participate, influence, lead and support each other.
We have established a culture that is at once nurturing, challenging and encouraging, where girls are free to be themselves. At Mentone Girls’ Grammar, our priority is ensuring that our girls feel safe to explore their passions, make mistakes and grow into confident and capable young women.
Research indicates that girls thrive when they are in a nurturing environment that gives a voice to their opinions and choices, allows them to challenge themselves without fear of failure, and pursue a life of purpose, fulfilment and meaning.
Our individualised programs and holistic approach ensure girls are seen, heard and known enabling them to flourish.
Our Commitment to Democratic Principles
- Mentone Girls' Grammar School is committed to the principles of a liberal democracy.
- We believe in an accountable, democratically elected government.
- We respect and observe the rule of law, and believe that no person is above the law.
- We believe in equal rights for all before the law, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender or other attributes.
- We believe not only in the freedom of religion, but also the need to practise tolerance and understanding of others' beliefs.
- We believe in the value of freedom of speech and freedom of association, but also acknowledge that we have the responsibility not to abuse this freedom.
- We believe in the values of openness and tolerance, and value and respect all members of the School community regardless of background.