Since 2009, Mentone Girls’ Grammar Junior School has been an authorised International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP)World School. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is designed for students between the ages of 3 and 12 years by the International Baccalaureate. The focus of the program is on the development of the whole child, in the classroom and in the world around us.
Student Centred Learning
In order to provide the best possible teaching and learning opportunities for our students, we align the IB PYP with the Australian Curriculum and the high curriculum standards of Mentone Girls’ Grammar. As a result, we also have explicit teaching programs for developing essential skills in literacy, numeracy and scientific inquiry, all of which progressively advance at each year level. A unique aspect of the program is our WAVES Care & Leadership Program which offers age and stage related approaches to student wellbeing and leadership development. Students also take part in a varied program of Sport, Music, Visual and Performing Arts, as well as many other co-curricular opportunities.
We teach through an inquiry-based, concept- driven curriculum framework.The PYP is a uniquely international programme focused on the total growth of the developing child, encompassing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to academic welfare.
The PYP curriculum is transdisciplinary, meaning that it focuses on issues that go across subject areas. Six important transdisciplinary themes are identified in the PYP:
- Who we are
- Where we are in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organise ourselves
- Sharing the planet
At the heart of the PYP is a commitment to structured inquiry as a vehicle for learning.Teachers and students develop and use key questions that are concept-based to structure their units of inquiry.
At each year level there is a particular highlight feature which helps focus the teaching and learning program.
- Prep (Foundation): Focus on transition to full-time schooling through our unique Step into Prep program. Auditory assisted classrooms from Prep to Year 2 enhance the acoustic environment and help students develop effective auditory processing skills which are essential for basic learning.
- Year 1: Focus on consolidation of literacy and numeracy skills, as well as developing teamwork and self confidence through the Minniesingers choir program.
- Year 2: Focus on developing social skills and interactions.
- Year 3: Focus on independent learning and responsibility. Students participate in their first overnight camp.
- Year 4: Focus on environment and sustainability through the EnviroKids program featuring the kitchen garden and greater use of our ‘Classroom on the Beach’.
- Year 5: Focus on formal STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects which are incorporated into many of the Units of Inquiry including a special Unit on Engineering Design and Construction.
- Year 6: Focus on leadership, independent inquiry and in-depth research, culminating in the major Year 6 Exhibition.
- Languages - We teach Mandarin from ELC - Year 3 and Japanese from Year 4 - 6. Senior School offers a range of languages.
Underpinning our curriculum is a strong program of pastoral care and academic support, as well as our SAIL(Supporting Advanced & Independent Learners) Program of academic enrichment. SAIL Philosophy and Mathematics classes are provided by invitation to students of very high ability in these areas. In Years 5 & 6, our most able musicians are invited to participate in our SAIL orchestra program.
Ultimately, our aim is to ensure every student has a solid educational background as well as the social, personal and interpersonal skills to confidently enter Senior School.